Cockfosters spans the London Boroughs of Enfield and Barnet and is situated to the north of Oakwood and East Barnet.
Just to the east of Cockfosters is the 38 hectare expanse of Trent Park. The park was originally part of the Royal Hunting Forest of Enfield Chase but following a long period of private ownership was opened to the public as Trent Country Park in 1973. The park also contains Camlet Moat, a scheduled ancient monument, and reputedly the seat of habitation of Geoffrey de Mandeville, one of the great magnates of the reign of William the Conqueror.
The Piccadilly Line reached Cockfosters in July 1933 and with it the start of the area’s most significant building boom. New streets were laid out to the south-west of the station and by 1939 much of the area had been developed. The introduction of the Green Belt in the 1940s restricted any further development to the north of the station. Any remaining gaps from the 1930s building boom were filled in during the early nineteen-fifties. The continuing Green Belt policy means that to this day residents are only a few minutes walk from open farmland.