Latest blog posts: Party Wall Questions

Party Wall Surveyor Cost and Fees

Friday, 27th May 2022 | by: Matthew Price

The Party Wall Act is a slightly complicated piece of legislation, and the industry is essentially self-regulating. This intends that surveyors tend to decide their fees as said by their situation in the market, the type of scheme, and the geographical region among other factors. Several surveyors will charge on an hourly basis and others will ... Read more >>

Free lunchtime CPD for property professionals

Sunday, 16th May 2021 | by: Peter Barry

Over the last couple of years we’ve put on a series of lunchtime CPD sessions covering party wall procedures for Architects, engineers, housing associations and local authorities. We're now accepting requests to book sessions over the next few months. Originally the sessions were held at the organisations’ offices but over the last year, ... Read more >>

When Should Party Wall Notices be Served?

Tuesday, 20th April 2021 | by: Justin Burns

Completing the party wall awards is often the last part of the jigsaw required to allow work to commence on site and the process which leads up to that point can be delayed for any number of reasons; from technical queries relating to the proposed works to the appointed surveyors’ holiday arrangements. It’s therefore advisable to get started ... Read more >>

A question came up on a recent party wall job which led to an interesting debate on what the section 11(11) expenses should cover when one owner re-builds a party fence wall as a party wall and the other owner later makes use of it. Section 11(11) of the Act states that: Where use is subsequently made by the adjoining owner of work carried ... Read more >>

New Rules Covering Rear Extensions

Friday, 28th June 2013 | by: Justin Burns

Following a public consultation and weeks of political wrangling temporary changes to the Permitted Development rules came in to force on 30th May 2013. Until 30th May 2016 homeowners have the right to build larger (i.e. deeper) single-storey rear extensions without having to apply for planning permission. The size limits will double from 4 ... Read more >>

Party Wall Questions #13

Saturday, 3rd September 2011 | by: Peter Barry

Question A pair of semi-detached houses have each been converted in to flats. The flats are each held on long leases with the Freeholds owned by investment companies. The owner of one of the top floor flats proposes to convert their roof space - the work requires 3 beams to be cut in to the party wall. Which Owners should be served with ... Read more >>

Party Wall Questions #12

Saturday, 3rd September 2011 | by: Peter Barry

Question Does the Adjoining Owner’s surveyor a)    Have any responsibility to ensure that the design of the notified works is adequate? b)    Have any power to insist that structural calculations etc. are checked by an engineer acting for the Adjoining Owner and that the Building Owner pays the cost of that engineer’s ... Read more >>

Party Wall Questions #11

Saturday, 3rd September 2011 | by: Peter Barry

Question In light of Kaye v Lawrence can the panel give some examples of the types of work to a residential property that would constitute a reasonable request for Security for Expenses in accordance with Section 12 of the Act? This is another question that was raised at a recent FPWS North London forum meeting which I helped to organise. I ... Read more >>

Party Wall Questions #10

Saturday, 3rd September 2011 | by: Peter Barry

Question A Building Owner’s basement conversion works damage the party wall to such an extent that the remedy is partial re-building. The Adjoining Owner elects to receive a payment in lieu of the repair as they don’t trust the Building Owner’s contractor to undertake the works. Prior to carrying out the repair does the Adjoining ... Read more >>

Party Wall Questions #9

Wednesday, 31st August 2011 | by: Peter Barry

Question If a Building Owner appoints a surveyor on behalf of an Adjoining Owner in accordance with Section 10(4) can that surveyor give consent for special foundations on behalf of the Adjoining Owner (or can they if it is in the best interests of both buildings)? Where an Adjoining Owner will not give consent for Special Foundations can they ... Read more >>

Call Now Button